Saturday, October 8, 2011

Why I care about River Run Park in Forsyth Missouri!


I have been asked by more than one person, why I post so much information about River Run Park. At the same time, I write very little about either Empire Park or Shadow Rock Park both of which are located in the same general area to the east and south of Forsyth, Missouri.

That answer is really quite simple. Some time ago, I made a decision to try and adopt a park in a fashion that is similar to, but not quite the same as adopting a stretch of road. I did this because I thought it might be informative for those who drive great distances to this location to camp and find recreation. They deserve to be kept informed as it is their park in every sense of the word. So why River Run? Well, off the three parks I mentioned, River Run is the most problematic as it is run solely by the Army Corps of Engineers. A government body not well known, in my opinion, for their ability to communicate freely with a public they are supposed to be serving.

As a case in point, if you were to go to this government web page for River Run, you would find information pertaining to park rates, the park location and even a number to call for more information. Problem is, there is no attendant, the bulletin board listing the rates is gone missing and the phone number rings but is never answered. (Note: this site is listed as 'www.recreation.gov' and is not the official Corps page). Both the other parks are open and serving the needs of the public as usual.

Now as to the current conditions at the park as of October the 8th, 2001 here is what I have observed:

  • The access roads have been scraped off and are clear of river muck from the summer flood.
  • The back access otherwise known as Baker Street remains gated.
  • The access road to the Powersite dam remains blocked by fallen trees.
  • Trees that have fallen as a result of the flood lie where they fell.
  • There is damage to numerous park structures, including shelters, lantern poles and campsite tables.
  • The grass has not been cut and is currently weed infested.
  • There is no posted notice to inform visitors of the current park status. Actually, as I pointed out earlier, there is no bulletin board per sae! Just a sign that lists the rates to camp.
  • There is no power, bathroom facilities, water or garbage collection at this time. (This is a guess on my part). So too, is my guess that they don't want anyone camping there. As I was writing this post while at the park, I noticed a large RV pull in and then turn around and pull out. Bye!

That summarizes what I have observed to date, and to be honest, conditions could change at any time. In the past, a contractor might show up out of thin air and put things to right. If I see anything like that, I’ll report it on this blog. This park has suffered a devastating flood that was really no ones fault. In particular the beautiful trees have really suffered the long term submersion of their roots.  So, if you are in the area, I'd encourage you to stop at this park and hug a tree!

As a side note: The Corps does have a Facebook page where you can feel free to leave comments! Please consider 'liking' them and leaving comments that let them know what you think! Remember that the government and the people should work closely together, as we are one and the same!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great information. I feel like I am there again! They should give that place more attention. I guess with the flooding there is issues?

    ReplyDelete