Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Library Tax and why it did not pass!



Rather than go and try and point out all the reason’s that the proposed library tax to improve the library system in Taney County was a bad idea, I think I’ll focus on what I think the voters were feeling when they defeated it on the April the 2nd General Municipal Election ballot that was recently tallied.

First off, I would agree with Josh Smith when he has stated that he is a big supporter of the library system (I believe him), but that he felt that any monies that were raised via a tax should come from within the city limits of Branson and Forsyth Missouri where the two libraries are located. He felt (and still feels, I think) that the large majority of people who regularly use these facilities also live within the two city limits. And that citizens, who live in the far eastern parts of the county, probably may have much less occasion to use either facility. Yet, if this levy was passed, they would be paying the same tax on a yearly basis  to support something that city dwellers would be getting more benefit from. That just doesn't sound right to my ears and perhaps that was the same feelings other voters had this time around.

For my part, I was also against a library tax being levied as part of my property tax bill. I felt it should be part of a more openly declared city sales tax should those living in either Branson or Forsyth so decide that’s how they want to spend their money. I want my property taxes only to be spent on vital infrastructural interests. I also object to what has been a constant stream of new tax bills with no cutting of any costs that I’m aware of! I’m fully aware that the manner in which monies that are collected, end up being spent in such convoluted and complex fashion, that even a the taxing authority can be hard pressed to say what is spent where. Where is the leadership that would begin the process of simplification? Will there ever come a day when Taney County will announce a savings of any kind? I’m not so sure that will happen in my lifetime.

In brief then, it was probably preordained that this particular issue would fail. It’s also likely that any future efforts will need to pass close muster before having much of a chance at passage. Clearly, the politicians relying on ‘state statistics’, as was done in this case did not cut the mustard. Real and honest effort needs to be expended, in the future, to back up any desire to levy more taxes.  The public needs and deserves easy to understand research and opinion polls that demonstrate to all involved that the ‘T’s’ were crossed and the ‘I’s’ dotted before another penny of hard-earned money is spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment