Friday, July 20, 2018

On Country Mart and slippage!

Forsyth MO. - On a promised to be hot July day in 2018, I wandered into a local grocery store known as Country Mart and as I stepped into the Produce Department, a line from Stephan King's book. 'Dark House' came to mind. It concerned the term 'slippage'; 'It’s a feeling of a kind of inevitable, sometimes hard to detect degradation into darkness. Everything is in a state of entropy. So, you’re either working to improve or letting things degrade and break up.' Half empty bins, containing limp produce greeted my eye in a department that heretofore had always been a shining example of veggies done right! I was going to purchase some Romaine, but after looking at the ragged offerings, I passed.

As I quickly exited the area, the damage had been done and now my mind was queued in to spot other areas and shelves with products that had gaps in between one item and the next. An image that was not at all like the one pictured above... Like I said, slippage was apparent most everywhere on this date and in this store....

Update: The very next day, the Produce area looked a lot better (see picture at right)! Just perhaps, I did show up on an off sort of day.... I was also informed that the long term employee, Randy, who did such an outstanding job maintaining that area had moved on...


No comments:

Post a Comment