Thursday, March 8, 2018

Issues at the Frosted Mug!

Forsyth MoJohn's Frosted Mug is a bar slash restaurant that has been an icon in my small town for a number of decades. When I was working, I'd often stop there for a couple of cold beers and maybe a game of pool after I'd get off. I started going there back in 1992 or so and feel that I know the venue fairly well.

That was then, and now is now, however. The Mug, in my opinion, faces a number of issues that could prove to be problematic for any long term survival. Let me list five of them here;

  1. I cannot remember when either the outside or the inside has last seen a significant effort at renovation. In 2018, it's now showing some clear signs of wear and tear that likely do little to improvement customer expectations.
  2. The Mug is a smoking only facility, meaning that there are no accommodations for non-smokers there at all! At a time where people have quit or are quitting in record number, this venue has become less and less appealing to larger and larger numbers of potential customers.
  3. The menu and especially the specials have become predictable and therefore uninspiring. While the quality of the food there is good, recent price increases may be playing to a smaller dinner crowd.
  4. The lone pool table has issues, (this according to a few avid players I've talked to). Apparently the rails have some dead spots that makes clean play a problem.
  5. Screaming infants really have no place in a smoke filled adult bar, yet they make regular appearances.

These are all problems that have pretty straight forward solutions. I decided to post this, not to condemn the establishment, but in the hopes that some needed changes can be made so that it will once again become a thriving and popular place to grab a cold one on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment