Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February 1, 2012 Shadow Rock Park Update!



You know, for all the flooding we had in 2011, I have to admit the Shadow Rock and River Run parks both look to be in pretty good shape. I feel this was due, in no little part, to efforts by the volunteers and city workers who spent time earlier this fall to help clean things up.

Today, the first of February it’s 64F outside as I stroll around, camera in hand. For whatever reason, the really cold air has been bottled up way to the north and so we have had a mild winter. I heard on the TV that Chicago has had the mildest winter in over 80 years! (Well, if that city is warm, then you know it’s got to be even warmer this far south)!

Today, there were quite a few people out and about in the area; either driving around in their cars our out in a boat. I was too far from the fishermen to ask how their luck was, but I’m hoping it was fair to middling.

Over on the River Run side, someone has been working on cleaning up the public showers and bathrooms. In addition, most of the driftwood has also been removed, so it looks like it’s getting close to being good to go also.

I know what’s on a lot of people minds as we edge towards spring. That is, will the rains be as heavy as they were last April and May? I can’t tell you what Mother Nature is planning on, but I sure hope not. It’s just that over the last five years, it seems the park has been flooded more often than not.

I’ll try and get another report out later this month. Hope everyone stays warm and dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment