Monday, July 4, 2011

Rockaway Beach Fourth of July 2011

A friend of my mine told me, a few days ago, about the Rockaway Beach 4th of July Celebration that was going to take place on the main drag on Monday the 4th, so I made it a point to motor on down there to see what was what.

When I arrived, I noticed that a part of main the main street had been cordoned off. A company called Party Station (nixapartystation.com) had also set up a number of rides for kids right out on the street. And even though it was very hot (92F), when I arrived at 4PM, there were already a number of kids running around having a good time. At the very end of the blocked off area, a band that literally had no name (it was thrown together at the last minute according to one of the band members) was playing and sound pretty darn good!

My hat really goes off to all the volunteers that were in attendance to help made this deal go off. Been there and done that. It's hard work. Here’s a picture of some of them in a tent area recovering from the heat. And speaking of heat, I was really impressed with the folks at the food tent who not only were dealing with the blazing heat of the day, but also the heat of the grills that were turning out brats, hot dogs and hamburgers. I personally had a hamburger and I gotta tell you, there’s nothing better than eating good food on a hot summer day. It brought back a lot of good memories of days gone by.

During the balance of the summer season, Rockaway Beach is still a good bet to go hang out, what with many of the other nearby recreational areas flooded out. The city offers great accommodations, good fishing and that small town feeling that seems to be disappearing from much of Americana. I’d also like to say a big thanks to Rita and Steve at the Upper Deck Bar for offering a cold retreat and warm company to help one recover from the heat outside. Right next door to them, is the White River Grill. A venue I’ve written about in another blog.

You know everyone, throughout the remainder of the summer and on into the fall, Rockaway Beach, Missouri will be offering a action packed fun calendar of things to do and experience. Do yourself a favor and stop on by! Tell em DanO sent ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment